2022 Senior Ethics Olympiad
You can Register at the bottom of this page
Developing skills in ethical understanding remains a high priority for educators. The Ethics Olympiad has a proven track record of providing teachers and students with a creative vehicle for developing skills in communication, critical thinking and respectful discourse while dealing with important ethical issues.
Schools are invited to send 5-10 students to participate in the Ethics Olympiad. Any school can participate. During the day all students will be involved in a series of four heats where they will be scored according to set criteria that rewards, clear, concise, respectful discourse around interesting ethical cases. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be awarded to the top three school teams. Gold and Silver medal-winning schools will be invited to represent their region and country at the International final.
Dates and locations;
• Victoria – Monday 2nd May 2022(Room for one team)
• N.S.W. 1 – Tuesday 3rd May 2022 (New Session) (FULL)
• ACT – Tuesday 3rd May 2022 (Room for one team)
• N.S.W. 2 – Thursday 5th May 2022 (Room for one team)
• Tasmania – Friday 6th May 2022
• Queensland 1 – Tuesday 10th May 2022 (Room for two teams)
• Queensland 2 – Thursday 12th May 2022 (FULL)
• N.S.W. 3 – Friday 13th May 2022 (Room for one team)
• North Island 1 -NZ – Monday 16th May 2022
• North Island 2 -NZ – Wed. 18th May 2022 (Room for one team)
• South Island NZ – Friday 20th May 2022
• Western Australia 1 – Monday 23rd May 2022 (FULL)
• Hong Kong – Monday 23rd May 2022 (Room for one team)
• South Australia – Wed. 25th May 2022 (Room for two teams)
• Northern Territory- Wednesday 25th May 2022
• Victoria 2 – Friday 27th May 2022
• NSW 4 – Saturday 28th May 2022
• Western Australia 2 – Monday 30th May 2022
• Singapore – Monday 30th May 2022
• India – Tuesday 31st May
Program for the Day:
• Starts 9 am – 9.15 am – Preparation
• 9.15-10.30 am – Heat One (Practice Heat)
• 10.30 am -11.45 am – Heat Two
• 11.45 Morning tea
• 12-1.15 – Heat Three
• 1.15 pm – 1.45 Lunch
• 1.45-3 pm- Heat Four
• 3 pm – Finish
Once registered we will send you the cases, training resource kits and an invoice. The registration fee is $39-$45 (AUS) per student ($195-$240 AUS) per team. The entrance fee is smaller for member schools and there is a reduced rate for early bird bookings. (Valid up until 18/2/22). Schools can enter one or two teams. Please note there are a limited number of teams that can participate.
Format, Rules & Scoring
The heats use the same format as the Ethics Bowl in the US. The main difference is that all groups will be running online in zoom breakout rooms. There will be a round-robin format with different schools participating against each other. Scores will be private on the day, but we will email the final results to each participating school after the event. University philosophy lecturers, post-grad philosophy students and ethicists from throughout the world judge the heats throughout the day.
Coaches Training Kit- Included in the kit will be the eight ethical cases, score sheets, criteria, format details and other useful information. Students kits will also be available.
Click here for a printable flyer about the event.
Eligible Year/Age levels
- In Australia, we invite teachers of students in Years 10-12 to participate and this includes 14-18 years olds
- In New Zealand, we invite secondary high school students in Year 10-13 to participate ( 14-18-year-olds)
- In Hong Kong and Singapore, we invite Secondary School students (Secondary 4-6) (14-18-year-olds)
- In India, we invite Senior Secondary students. (14-18-year-olds)